To kick off your holiday family dinner, what better option than a hearty, smooth soup? This recipe, from Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking by Carla Kelly, is a perfect, elegant first course.
Parsnip & Chickpea Soup
Serves 4 to 6
“My kids still laugh about the one year when Santa brought me chickpeas for Christmas—but he was right to, as I do love them! I also love parsnips, a root vegetable I feel is often underappreciated and underloved. I’ve combined these sweet and earthy flavors with some equally sweet and earthy spices to really bring out the best of all the ingredients. The finished soup is definitely rustic in appearance but grounding and warming all the same. Because this is a long-cooking soup, it works well cooking overnight to be ready at lunchtime.”
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup dry chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock, store-bought or homemade
- Salt and pepper
- Additional stock
*To ensure the dish is gluten free, if necessary, please check all packaged ingredients.
1. Combine the onion through the stock in the slow cooker.
2. Cover, set heat to LOW, and cook for about 12 hours, or until chickpeas and vegetables are very tender.
3. Remove the bay leaf.
4. Puree half the soup with an immersion blender, leaving the other half textured for interest.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
For more recipes like this, check out Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking by Carla Kelly.