Excerpted from PROJECT KID: Crafts That Go! by Amanda Kingloff (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2016.
Kids will have a ball with this submarine bath toy.
- 3 bottle caps
- Green acrylic paint
- 1 used pod from a single-cup coffeemaker, cleaned out
- Yellow electrical tape
- 1 flexible straw
- Foam football
- E-6000 glue
- Cap from GoGo Squeez applesauce
- Paint the bottle caps green.
- While the paint is drying, wrap the sides of the coffee pod in tape.
- To create the sub’s periscope, cut the straw about 3½ inches from the flexible section, and push down into the hole at the bottom of the coffee pod. (The coffeemakers punch a hole when the hot water filters through the coffee grounds.)
- Using E-6000 glue, have an adult glue the bottle caps onto the side of the foam football as portholes, the pod on to the top as the conning tower, and the applesauce cap onto the back point to create the propeller. Let the glue dry for at least 12 hours before taking the sub on its first underwater bathtub voyage.