This is a brilliant alternative to rice–gluten-free, very simple and something really quite different. It’s just like rice, but with loads more nutrition, fewer carbohydrates and, dare I say it, more flavor. This is ideal for serving with curries. I like to add the turmeric for a little color, but it can easily be omitted to have pure white rice instead.
- 1 large cauliflower, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Make sure that your cauliflower is very well chopped – the easiest way is to put it into a food processor and pulse about five times, until it resembles rice. Any big bits can be picked out and kept for a later pulsing.
Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high and begin to fry your cauliflower. Stir it regularly, and after 5–7 minutes, when the cauliflower is getting a little color, add the turmeric and water.
Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the cauliflower has become tender but still has a bit of bite to it.
Season with salt and serve.
About the Book:
Plant-based recipes from a fun-loving, world-wandering chef you’ll want to follow everywhere!
Chef Lee Watson was once, in his own words, “the mightiest nose-to-tail carnivore of them all.” But four years ago, he went completely vegan—and today, he’s an easygoing evangelist for peaceful, plant-full eating!
Now, Peace & Parsnips captures 200 of Lee’s extraordinarily creative recipes, all “rooted” in his love of life and his many travels—from the streets of Mexico and the food bazaars of Turkey to the French countryside, the shores of Spain, the spice markets of India and beyond! Twelve chapters burst with gorgeous photos (200 in all!), tempting us with Lee’s mouthwatering recipes—all meat-free, dairy-free and egg-free, and many gluten-free—that are brimming with goodness. Get set to savor:
- Breakfast: Plantain Breakfast Burrito with Pico de Gallo
- Smoothies, Juices & Hot Drinks: Healthy Hot Chocolate
- Soups: Zen Noodle Broth
- Salads: Fennel, Walnut & Celeriac Salad with Caesar-ish Dressing
- Sides: Turkish-Style Spinach with Creamy Tofu Ricotta
- Nibbles, Dips & Small Plates: Shiitake Tempura with Wasabi Mayo
- Big Plates: Parsnip & Walnut Rumbledethumps with Baked Beans
- Curries: Roasted Almond & Kohlrabi Koftas with Tomato & Ginger Masala
- Burgers & More: Portobello Pecan Burgers with Roasted Pumpkin Wedges
- Baked & Stuffed: Mexican “Pastor” Pie
- Sweet Treats: Raw Blueberry & Macadamia Cheesecake; Dark Chocolate & Beet Brownies
- Sauces, Dressings, Toppers & other Extras: Smoky Chipotle & Cauliflower Cheese Sauce; Tofu & Herb Feta!
Lee’s thoughtful, enthusiastic advice makes it easier than you think (and great fun) to create unforgettable meals from an inspiring array of seasonal fruits, fresh vegetables and easy-to-find staples. This is food that explodes with flavor, color and texture—and will delight and nourish everyone.