The internet tells us today in ‘Book Lovers Day,’ and while that’s pretty much every day to us, we thought we’d use it as an excuse to celebrate the places that made us book lovers to begin with: our local indie bookstores. For the past six months, we’ve been highlighting a special store every month, and asking their staff to share some all-time favorite kids titles, from picture books to YA. Here’s a roundup of all the great suggestions we’ve gotten so far. Write down the ones that pique your interest, and go show your own local bookstore a little love today.
- Astoria Bookshop in Queens gave us the low-down on feminist books for kids.
- We asked Rhinebeck’s Oblong Books & Music for their favorite LGBTQIA children’s titles.
- Wellesley Books in Massachusetts picked some all-star baseball books.
- Tattered Cover in Denver shared some great sci-fi and fantasy reads, for toddlers through teens.
- We got a little inspiration from Phoenix’s Changing Hands Bookstore, who picked titles to celebrate early achievements.
- Decatur, Georgia’s Little Shop of Stories highlighted some kids reads on love and friendship.