Tylka Body Appreciation Scale*
For each item, the following response scale should be used: 1 = Never,
2 = Seldom, 3 = Sometimes, 4 = Often, 5 = Always.
- I respect my body.
- I feel good about my body.
- I feel that my body has at least some good qualities.
- I take a positive attitude toward my body.
- I am attentive to my body’s needs.
- I feel love for my body.
- I appreciate the different and unique characteristics of my body.
- My behavior reveals my positive attitude toward my body; for example, I hold my head high and smile.
- I am comfortable in my body.
- I feel like I am beautiful even if I am different from media images of attractive people (e.g., models, actresses/actors).
Scoring Procedure: Calculate the average for your responses. The closer your score is to 5, the more appreciation you have for your body. Review any low scores, journal about why you have trouble with those areas, and generate ideas for growing your body appreciation.
*Copyright Dr. Tracy Tylka