Isn’t it wild how even after a Thanksgiving feast, there’s always room for dessert? With this turkey on the table, there’s one more thing to be thankful for!
Crispy Rice Thanksgiving Turkey
- 8 cups crispy rice cereal
- 6 cups marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 9 drops brown and 1 drop yellow food coloring
- 5 blue/green Fruit Roll-Ups
- Thanksgiving Turkey template (see here)
- Parchment paper
- Cooking spray
- Cake board (or other serving surface) Scissors
1. Coat the inside of the cookie cutter with cooking spray and place it on the parchment-covered work surface. In a large stockpot, melt the butter over low heat until it’s 80 percent melted (see photo), about 1 minute 20 seconds. Note: If the butter begins to sizzle, lower the heat. It should melt very slowly.
2. Add the mini marshmallows and stir gently, coating them with melted butter, about 30 seconds.
3. When the marshmallows are about 80 percent melted (when you can still see the individual marshmallow shapes but they are beginning to run together), add the food coloring. Stir for another 15 seconds and then turn off the heat.
4. Stir gently until the color is well distributed but the marshmallows are still only about 80 percent melted, about 35 seconds (you should still be able to identify individual pieces within the melted ones). Note: If the marshmallows melt too much, the mixture will be too hot to handle—wait 1–2 minutes and then mold quickly!
5. Add the cereal and mix well, until the marshmallows and cereal are fully combined, about 40 seconds. Do not overmix!
6. Pour the mixture onto the parchment-covered template on the work surface. Generously coat your hands with cooking spray. Use both hands to mold the mixture over the template, smoothing the edges and rounding the surface until the mixture begins to firm up. Use your fingers to gently create divisions between the breast and the wings/legs.
7. Place the treat in the freezer for 10 minutes and then carefully transfer it onto a serving surface. Use scissors to separate the green section from the blue and green Fruit Roll-Ups. Discard (or eat) the blue parts.
8. Press the green pieces onto the serving surface around the turkey, folding them unevenly to resemble lettuce.
9. Continue to press the green pieces around the turkey until the bed of greens is complete.