Strawberry is a perennial favorite at any ice cream shop, but nothing beats strawberry frozen yoghurt made at home with fresh berries. The fresh strawberries shine through in this frozen yoghurt and add a bright pink color.
Makes about 1 ½ quarts
10–12 ounces fresh strawberries
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups plain Greek-style yogurt, cold
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Hull the strawberries, and then purée in a food processor until very smooth. You should have about 1 cup of strawberry purée.
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, without stirring, over medium-high heat. When thesugar mixture comes to a full boil, continue to boil for 1 minute.
- While the sugar boils, beat the egg whites to soft peaks in a large clean bowl. When the sugar is ready, continue beating the eggs on low speed and very slowly stream in the hot sugar mixture. When all the sugar has been incorporated, turn the mixer to high and beat until the meringue is glossy and has cooled almost down to room temperature, 2 to 3 minutes. (See The Meringue Method.)
- Whisk together the yogurt, strawberry purée, and vanilla ina large bowl until smooth. Fold in the meringue.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and chill in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours to allow the yogurt to completely set.
Check out the book for more recipes!
About the Book:
Learn to make frozen yogurt at home that’s just as light, smooth, and delightful as what you buy. You’ll use Greek yogurt as a base and a basic ice cream machine to make these 56 flavor recipes that range from traditional to artisanal, including black cherry vanilla, toasted coconut, peach Melba, chai spice, watermelon, maple bacon, chocolate malted, pistachio, and browned butter pecan. An additional 50 recipes for treats like blueberry sugar cookie sandwiches, brownie baked Alaska, Neapolitan semifreddo, cinnamon bun pops, and salted caramel swirl bonbons ensure this is the sweetest guide ever to making and enjoying frozen yogurt.