Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
TOTAL TIME: 8 hours 30 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as canola or peanut
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, leaves discarded, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus extra as needed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra as needed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups reduced-salt chicken broth or All-Purpose Chicken Stock
- 2½ cups dried wide egg noodles
- Chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, for garnish
- Press Sauté and use the Sauté or Adjust button to select the lowest temperature (“Less”). Place the vegetable oil in the inner pot, wait about 1 minute for it to warm, then add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook with the lid off, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts, followed by the bay leaves, salt, pepper, thyme, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the valve to Venting. Attach the condensation collector. Press Cancel, then press Slow Cook and use the Slow Cook or Adjust button to select the lowest temperature (“Less”). Use the − or + button to set the time to 8 hours.
- When the cooking time is finished, press Cancel and remove the lid. Remove the chicken breasts from the inner pot and place them on a cutting board. Discard the bay leaves.
- Press Sauté and use the Sauté or Adjust button to select the middle temperature (“Normal”). Cook with the lid off until bubbling, about 5 minutes. Add the noodles and allow them to cook, uncovered, until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- While the noodles cook, slice the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- When the noodles have finished cooking, press Cancel and return the chicken to the soup, stirring to distribute. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup will keep, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days. To reheat, place the soup in a pot and warm on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.